This year we saw a great deal of patterns, details and stripes on the Runway. Personally, I do buy quite a lot of stripes when shopping, and whats nice about this season is that you can mix your stripes in one outfit! Countless designers such as Prada and Sonia Rykiel have included their own twist of the stripe craze – mixing vertical prints with horizontal and thin stripes with thick.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when mixing stripes to avoid looking Tacky or too over the top with patterns.
1- Try to choose stripes that are somewhat of the same vibe (Ex: If you have a skirt with pastel stripes, even though your shirt might be of a different shape and side of stripe, it would help if it is also a pastel.)
2- I like to mix the sizes and shapes of stripes, I never read of had anyone tell me that stripes have to be different sizes but when they are quite similar, I tend to feel like am wearing a uniform rather than pulling off a funky trend!
3- Keep the rest simple: If you do go with the stripes mix look, keep everything else quite simple. Trust me the stripes will speak loud enough for the outfit and you don’t want to aim for funky and end up looking umm Messy!
4- A vertical stripe can help to elongate anyone, however, a horizontal stripe is slightly more difficult to work into your wardrobe, especially for those that aren’t blessed with a modelesque body type.
The safest way to wear the trend is by using the right length and shape to suit your body type. So, if you happen to be a pair shape, wearing a horizontally striped blouse with a vertical pinstripe skirt could be your best option to even out any imperfections. If you have more of a square shape, in order to give the illusion of curves try wearing a straight across stripe combo.
The combo can be a bit overwhelming so be careful when selecting your prints and colour scheme. But not to fear, if this all makes you a bit nervous, stick with one of these prints and you’ll still be spot on with this fashion trend
HAVE FUN EXPERIMENTING!
- For on-trend stripes this season, forget Breton and go bold (justsave.co.uk)
- Summer stripes (thenewsroom.co.uk)
- Stripes… Stripes… Stripes… (covellifashion.wordpress.com)
- Tips and Tricks on Wearing Stripes (shopmoodymary.com)
- Earn Your Stripes (truetraditional.wordpress.com)
- Budget Stylista: A New Take On Stripes (collegecandy.com)
- Dots or Stripes? (coutureallure.blogspot.com)
- Design Inspiration: Bold Black Stripes (apartmenttherapy.com)
- Style Sourcebook:Stunning, Substantial Stripes (apartmenttherapy.com)